How we respect privacy when we deal with personal information collected by our organisation
If you have any comments or questions about this notice, feel free to contact us at [email protected]
1. Personal data that we process
The following table explains the types of data we collect and the legal basis, under current data protection legislation, on which this data is processed.
|Purpose||Data (key elements)||Basis|
|Enquiring about our organisation and its work||Name, email, message||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to read and store your message so that we can respond in the way that you would expect.|
|Subscribing to email updates about our work||Name, email||Consent – you have given your active consent.|
|Making a donation||Name, email, address, payment information||Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfill your intention of donating money and your expectation of receiving a confirmation message.|
|Gift Aid||Name, address||Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfill your intention of allowing us to claim gift aid.|
|Signing up as a member||Name, email||Contract – by paying your membership fees you have entered into a contractual relationship with us as set out in our membership terms and conditions.|
|Website functionality||Website activity collected through cookies||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to store a small amount of information, usually through cookies, to deliver functionality that you would expect, such as remembering the contents of your order before you have fully completed the process.|
2. How we use your data
We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected, as set out in the table at the top of this policy.
For example, we may use your personal information to:
- reply to enquiries you send to us;
- handle donations or other transactions that you initiate;
- submit gift aid claims to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
3. When we share your data
We will only pass your data to third parties in the following circumstances:
- you have provided your explicit consent for us to pass data to a named third party (HMRC); or
- we are required by law to share your data.
4. How long we keep your data
We take the principles of data minimisation and removal seriously and have internal policies in place to ensure that we only ever ask for the minimum amount of data for the associated purpose and delete that data promptly once it is no longer required.
5. Rights you have over your data
You have a range of rights over your data, which include the following:
- Where data processing is based on consent, you may revoke this consent at any time and we will make it as easy as possible for you to do this (for example by putting ‘unsubscribe’ links at the bottom of all our marketing emails).
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information.
- You have the right of access to your information.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed.
A full summary of your legal rights over your data can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here: https://ico.org.uk/
If you would like to access the rights listed above, or any other legal rights you have over your data under current legislation, please get in touch with us.
Please note that relying on some of these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, where possible we will always try to allow the maximum access to your rights while continuing to deliver as many services to you as possible.
6. Cookies & usage tracking
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is downloaded on to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies are used by many websites and can do a number of things, eg remembering your preferences, recording what you have put in your shopping basket, and counting the number of people looking at a website.